MGM RESORTS INTERNATIONAL EARNS PRESTIGIOUS
2013 GLOBAL CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY AWARD
Recognition highlights commitment to serving communities through social responsibility
LAS VEGAS, Aug. 6, 2013 – Sister Cities International, a global organization committed to advancing peace and prosperity through community and economic development exchanges, has awarded MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) with the 2013 Global Corporate Leadership Award. The award commends best practices and excellence in the area of corporate social responsibility.
“Sister Cities International is proud to recognize MGM Resorts International and its stellar commitment to giving back to its communities,” said Mary D. Kane, President & CEO of Sister Cities International. “
Receiving this award from an organization with such a long history and strong commitment to making the world a better place is truly an honor,” said Jim Murren, Chairman & CEO of MGM Resorts International. “As a company that reaches for excellence in all areas, it is imperative that we give back to the communities that our employees and their families live and work. Giving is at the core of this company--it is a vital part of our DNA.”
The Award was presented during the Lou Wozar Annual Awards Dinner, part of the Sister Cities International’s 57th Annual Conference in San Antonio, Texas.
The Sister Cities International Global Corporate Responsibility Award was established in 2006 and recognizes companies that demonstrate a strong commitment to the community. Previous recipients include Booz Allen Hamilton, Google, Motorola, IBM and the GE Foundation.
MGM Resorts' powerful commitment to the fundamental principle of social responsibility is supported by three major initiatives, including: Diversity & Inclusion, Philanthropy & Community Engagement, and Environmental Sustainability. Program highlights include:
Diversity & Inclusion
• MGM Resorts was the first company in the gaming and hospitality industry to voluntarily adopt a formal diversity and inclusion policy.
• Approximately 64 percent of the Company’s 62,000 employees are minorities. In the management ranks, about 43 percent of employees in the supervisory ranks are women, and 38 percent of employees in the supervisory ranks are minorities.
• Since the creation of its Supplier and Construction Diversity programs in 2001, the Company has spent a cumulative total of more than $3 billion with minority-owned, women-owned, veteran-owned and disadvantaged enterprises, as well as businesses owned by disabled and lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) individuals.
Philanthropy & Community Engagement
• Since its founding in 2002 to 2012, the employee-driven MGM Resorts Foundation has donated almost $50 million to nonprofit organizations for the betterment of American communities.
• In 2012, 96 employee-funded MGM Resorts foundation grants provided education support to 53,804 children; food, housing and self-sufficiency assistance to 111,746 individuals and families; and vital assistance such as medical care and mental health counseling to 9,847 individuals and families.
• In 2012, MGM Resorts employees logged more than 113,000 volunteer hours and helped more than 850 charitable organizations meet community needs.
• At more than 18M sf, CityCenter is the largest LEED® Gold certified development in the world.
• Since 2007, MGM Resorts has saved a cumulative total of over 420M kWh, enough to power 37,000 average U.S. homes for a year.
• The company has increased its recycling rate by more than 455 percent in four years, achieving nearly 45 percent diversion in 2012.
• Fifteen company resorts have achieved the prestigious Green Key rating for environmental conservation from the largest sustainable operations certification body in the world, Green Key Global.
For more information about MGM Resorts International’s commitment to social responsibility, please visit: www.mgmresorts.com/csr.
* * *
About MGM Resorts International
MGM Resorts International (NYSE: MGM) is one of the world's leading global hospitality companies, operating destination resort brands including Bellagio, MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay and The Mirage. The Company also owns 51% of MGM China Holdings Limited, which owns the MGM Macau resort and casino and is in the process of developing a gaming resort in Cotai, and 50% of CityCenter in Las Vegas, which features ARIA resort and casino. For more information about MGM Resorts International, visit the Company's website at www.mgmresorts.com.
MGM Resorts International