CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (April 2016) – In recognition of Earth Day on April 22, The Carolina Inn, A Destination Hotel that opened in 1924, embraces the need to preserve the environment and is committed to reducing its impact on the Earth’s natural resources while maintaining a superior guest experience.
The historic hotel’s Green Team has organized various events this week to promote a healthier environment for the entire community.
All week, it will be collecting books to donate to the Chapel Hill Public Library. On Friday, each overnight guest will receive a packet of North Carolina wildflower seeds as the turndown amenity.
In addition, the second Household Hazardous Waste Collection encourages all employees to bring their unwanted or expired hazardous items to the Inn to be properly disposed at the Orange County landfill. Those items include lawn, garden, and pool chemicals, household cleaners and chemicals, batteries, paint, sealant, solvents, used cooking oil, fluorescent lights, including ballasts, tubes and “twirly” compact fluorescent bulbs, thermostats and thermometers containing mercury.
Of note, the historic hotel implemented more than 100 environmental initiatives since the inception of the Destination Earth program almost a decade ago. The eco-friendly program elements include decreasing energy and water usage, reducing waste, increasing recycling and composting, and purchasing local and organic food and beverages when possible.
It is the hotel’s firm belief that everyone benefits from sustainable business practices, and the staff takes pride in all of its efforts to preserve and protect the environment.
Below is a sample of some of the environmental initiatives the Inn has already undertaken, all aimed at improving the Inn’s sustainability and efficiency today and well into the future.
• Energy-efficient light bulbs wherever possible
• Low VOC paint to improve indoor environmental air quality
• Wool corridor carpet, produced under strict environmentally-conscious guidelines and fully recyclable
• Luxurious bathmats made from bamboo yarns
• 100% organic cotton bed linen
• Natural and organic bathroom amenities in containers produced from post-consumer recycled materials
• Partially-used guest amenities donated to “Clean the World” which distributes recycled soap to impoverished countries
• Environmentally-sound cleaning products
• Linen and terry reuse program to minimize consumption of water and chemicals
• Cotton terry towels stocked in public restrooms in place of disposable paper products
• A laundry ozone system to reduce energy and chemical consumption
• Food and beverage menus guided by principles of sustainability, incorporating local and regional produce and perishable goods
• Extensive composting program that reduces our waste by four tons every month and returns usable material to the earth
• Complimentary daily newspapers in our lobby eliminate the need to discard the many unused newspapers that used to be in front of every door
• Property-wide recycling program, including guest rooms, of all recyclable material
• Dual flush toilets in all public restrooms to conserve water
About The Carolina Inn, A Destination Hotel
The historical Carolina Inn features 185 charming and well-appointed guestrooms including 7 luxury suites. The Carolina Inn and its Crossroads Chapel Hill restaurant were awarded AAA’s prestigious 2016 Four Diamond ratings, marking 19 consecutive hotel honors and 14 straight restaurant recognitions. The restaurant has been awarded Four-Stars by the Forbes Travel Guide for 16 straight years. www.CarolinaInn.com. Follow us on Twitter: @CarolinaInn, Instagram: @TheCarolinaInn, Pinterest: #TheCarolinaInn, and Google+: TheCarolinaInn. Like us on Facebook: CarolinaInn.
About Destination Hotels
Destination Hotels (Destination) is a collection of luxury and upscale independent hotels, resorts and residences across the United States. Offering authentically-immersed and enriching experiences, each property is individual at heart, yet connected by a commitment to drawing upon the best of each location. Highly distinct, the Destination experience is always memorable and matchless; guests will feel the locale in a genuine way through each property and during the engaging moments cultivated both in and outside of them. Continuously growing with more than 40 properties from coast to coast, the award-winning portfolio features 20 renowned golf courses, 20 indigenous spas, and 110 exceptional bars and restaurants. Destination Hotels are true to our place; diverse by design. For more information, visit www.destinationhotels.com. Follow us on Twitter: @Destination. Like us on Facebook: DestinationHotels.